INTELLIGENT & INFORMED

INTELLIGENT & INFORMED - CAADRIA 2019

Intelligent & Informed

24th International Conference of Computer Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia

Monday, 15th – Thursday, 18th April, 2019

Victoria University of Wellington

Wellington, New Zealand

 

I & I CAADRIA2019-Conference Tour

Enroll via the ‘Registration Link’!

The Conference Tour will by bus and some little easy walking. The itinerary is a very relaxing trip around some of Wellington’s highlights. It includes lunch and some drinks at the end of the tour. The itinerary and more info further below.

Entrance fees, lunch, drinks and nibbles are included - tour is seperate of student or full conference registration.

8.45 Meet at Faculty of Architecture & Design

9.00 Departure

9.20 Futuna Chapel

10.00 Depart Futuna Chapel

10.20 New Zealand Parliament

11.30 Depart Parliament and walk to Old St Pauls

11:40 Old St Pauls

12.15 Depart Old St Pauls

12:30 Victoria Lookout

13:00 Depart Victoria Lookout

13.15 Lunch at Oriental Parade

14.00 Walk along the waterfront to Te Papa

14:15 Museum of New Zealand: Te Papa Tongarewa

15.30 Depart Te Papa and walk along Cuba Street

17.00 Meet at Southern Cross for drinks and nibbles

18.00 End

Enroll via the ‘Registration Link’

 
 
futuna-ceiling.

Futuna Chapel

67 Futuna Close, Karori

Futuna Chapel is designed by the architect John Scott.

Built by the brothers of the Society of Mary, the chapel is named after the Pacific Island of Futuna on which the missionary Peter Chanel, to whom the project is dedicated, was martyred in 1841. It was awarded the New Zealand Institute of Architects gold medal in 1968 and its 25-year Award in 1986. The Historic Places Trust has placed it on its register as a Category 1 Historic Site.


New Zealand Parliament

Molesworth Street, Pipitea

The New Zealand Parliament Buildings house the New Zealand Parliament and are on a 45,000 square metre site at the northern end of Lambton QuayWellington. They consist of the Edwardian neoclassical-style Parliament House (1922); the Parliamentary Library (1899); the executive wing, called "The Beehive" (1977); and Bowen House, in use since 1991. Most of the individual buildings are outstanding for different reasons.

Beehive_Parliament

Old St Pauls

Old St Pauls

34 Mulgrave St, Pipitea

One of New Zealand’s greatest heritage places, Old St Paul’s was built by the Anglican Church between 1865 and 1866 on what was originally the site of Pipitea Pā, a Māori settlement on Wellington’s waterfront.

Constructed from fine native timbers, the church is a handsome sight from the outside. Inside, it is simply breathtaking. Soaring arches lend the appearance of an upturned galleon, a shapely form enhanced by transepts and other additions which were seamlessly incorporated as the congregation grew. Spectacular lighting gives the interior a rosy glow, enriching the appearance of brass fittings, stained glass windows and exquisitely embroidered furnishings. It is a glorious riot of colour and light, with splendid acoustics a memorable accompaniment.       

As well as being one of the best examples of Gothic Revival architecture in the world, the former cathedral is a repository of many interesting stories, including that of its own survival. Having served the Anglican community up to the 1960s, it was threatened with demolition after the new St Paul’s was built one block away. Saved, restored and reopened to the public, today Old St Paul’s stands not only as a place of spiritual significance and a venue for special events (including weddings and concerts) but also as a reminder of one of New Zealand's great heritage battles.


Victoria Lookout

Lookout Rd, Hataita

Rising 196m above the city, the Mount Victoria Lookout is a Wellington must-do. Head to the lookout and be rewarded with stunning panoramic views of Wellington city and harbour, and beyond.
Located right next to the central business district, you can drive all the way up, or take a walkway through the bush-covered Town Belt.
From the top, enjoy the views of Tinakori Hill, the Hutt Valley and Eastern harbour bays, Matiu/Somes Island and the Miramar Peninsula. Beyond are Baring and Pencarrow Heads and further to the right, Wellington’s Southern suburbs and Mt Mathews, Wellington’s highest point to the East.

Mount Victoria Lookout

Oriental Parade.jpg

Oriental Parade

Roseneath and Mt Victoria

Oriental Bay is a suburb of Wellington, the capital city of New Zealand. Located close to the Central Business District on Wellington Harbour, it has the closest beaches to the central city and is thus a popular spot both for living and for visiting.

Oriental Bay is situated against the northern slope of Mount Victoria, 1.5 kilometres southeast of the city centre, at the start of a coastal route which continues past Hataitai around Evans Bay. The suburb was named after one of the first ships to bring settlers to Wellington.

In the summer months, Oriental Bay becomes a hive of activity. The beach seems covered with swimmers, party goers and families. The Carter Fountain is a distinctive feature in the Bay, as is the wooden barge which is often covered in swimmers.


Museum of New Zealand: Te Papa Tongarewa

55 Cable Street, Te Aro

The Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa is New Zealand's national museum, located in Wellington. Known as Te Papa, or "Our Place", it opened in 1998 after the merging of the National Museum and the National Art Gallery.[2] More than 1.5 million people visit every year.

Te Papa Tongarewa translates literally to "container of treasures". A fuller interpretation is ‘our container of treasured things and people that spring from mother earth here in New Zealand’. Te Papa's philosophy emphasises the living face behind its cultural treasures, many of which retain deep ancestral links to the indigenous Māori people. The Museum recognises the partnership that was created by the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi, te Tiriti o Waitangi, in 1840.

Te Papa.jpg

cuba street crossing

Cuba Street, Te Aro

Wellington’s famous inner city slice of bohemia, Cuba Street, is a place with culinary and creative soul. It’s where people meet, busk, shop, dine and the best place in town to soak up the capital of cool’s culture. The street has been a registered Historic Area under the Historic Places Act since 1995.

Cuba Street was named after an early 1840 settler ship of the same name, not an island country in the Caribbean. But a number of the street’s residents have since run with the latter theme. Fidel’s Café (234 Cuba Street) – where the “coffee is Cuban and the hospitality is pure New Zealand” – is one of many tasty spots locals love to chew the literal and philosophical fat. Just around the corner on Wigan Street, Havana (32a-34 Wigan Street) is a local favourite for tapas, cocktails and excellent live music.


Southern Cross

39 Abel Smith St, Te Aro

For over 100 years the Southern Cross in Te Aro, Wellington, has been a favourite meeting place for locals. The Cross has something for everyone - have a look around and choose the perfect spot to suit your mood. Each area has been designed to create a different experience, a different ambiance.

southern cross.jpg